First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
Partly cloudy all day. High: 79 Low: 57.
Here are the best stories in Durham today:
- A proposal UNC Hospital in the Durham part of the Research Triangle Park has been approved by state regulators. The 40 bed hospital will be built through NC 54 from The Frontier. The hospital will also have two operating theaters, a 24 hour emergency service, And one obstetrics unit to give birth with two operating rooms dedicated to cesarean sections. The hospital is going employ around 300 people and the UNC hopes that it opened in 2026. (HeraldSun)
- The City of Durham is considering Denver while evaluating how he approaches community safety. Denver Support response from support team (STAR) will serve as a model for Durham’s new emergency response program. When you dial 911, calls can be routed to a team of alternative first responders instead of the police. The Denver team was able to successfully respond to 1,685 calls that did not require the presence of police. Durham believes that a similar system can help more than 66,000 calls for mental health, welfare checks and assistance. (WRAL)
- The County Durham District Attorneythe office should not seek the death penalty against the accused man in the 2012 murder of Faith Hedgepeth. A notice signed by the public prosecutor Satana debbery was filed in Superior Court on Tuesday declaring the case against Miguel Enrique Salguero-Olivares not capital. The murder happened over 9 years ago, and Chapel Hill Police have expressed the need to protect details of the case as it remains a active and investigation in progress. (WBTV)
- Tuesday night, Raleigh-Durham International Airport had to close an airport car park for about two hours in response to am attempted hijacking report. The airport says the parking lot was closed after law enforcement with the RDU Airport Authority answered a call in the parking lot. Passengers were advised to stay in the terminals and arrivals were redirected to another nearby parking lot. (WITN)
- Waiting state finance bill was enveloped by the General assembly and will now make his way to negotiations with Governor Cooper. (USNews) In the budget proposal, there is a controversial provision that would prevent North Carolina city and county officials from passing local tree ordinances. Opponents say the measure would lead to tree covered lost and the loss of critical shade from trees. Advocates say the measure is not anti-tree but rather an “procedural measure. “(E&E News)
today Durham Daily is brought to you by Newrez, one of the nation’s leading mortgage lenders. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to get in touch with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS # 3013)
- This International Podcast Day, discover 40 podcasts produced in the Triangle! (TriangleOnTheChap)
- Almost 100% of Duke Health employees are vaccinated from Wednesday. (abc11)
- Brett’s open mic celebrates its 25 years. (Spectrum News 1)
- A local COVID-19 survivor shares his point of view on immunization. (abc11)
- Tickets for A Christmas Tale The Musical on sale today! (DPAC)
Did you know you can feature your local business right here in the newsletter for just $ 79 per month? Click here to find out more.
That’s all for today! See you soon. If you like these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow you. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– CJ Fullford
Got a tip or suggestion for an upcoming Durham Daily? You can email me at [email protected]